Tioga Community Health Services
Tioga is a community-based, 501c3 nonprofit housed at North Bend Medical Center (NBMC) in Coos Bay, Oregon. Tioga was established in 1996 by several visionary physicians and community members.
The primary purposes are:
- To promote inter-professional collaboration and organizational capacity to develop innovative solutions to improve community health;
- To collaborate with educational organizations to develop community health resources, outreach and prevention initiatives;
- To encourage people on the South Coast of Oregon to consider occupations in rural health care;
- To improve the ability of the community to recruit and retain health care professionals;
- To support health care professionals and residents of the South Coast by providing community health education in the form of educational and resource materials, classes, and seminars.
The first original initiative since the early 2000s is a youth mentoring program for children in 1st through 4th grades. Lani Schreiber is directing the project and has widespread community support.
Tioga is directly involved through volunteer efforts, outreach, and development with the Community Health Improvement Plan Coalition. For more information on the coalition, please contact Public Health Director, Florence Pourtal-Stevens.
Tioga is the fiscal guarantor for Reach Out and Read, a long-standing program directed by pediatrician, Dr. Deleon. Reach Out & Reach provides books for children during their well-child visits at NBMC and Bay Clinic. The program continues to secure funding from the Bay Area Hospital Community Foundation.
Recently, Tioga was granted, and NBMC matched, $5,000 to establish a scholarship for SWOCC students pursuing degrees in Allied Health and Nursing.
Board of Directors and Advisors
The board of directors is comprised of engaged community leaders in health and education.
Contact for more information or to get involved: 547.267.5151 x 1264